Thursday, October 8, 2009

Search with Searchme

In her article titled Searchme Simplifies Searching, Kayla Hardin introduces her readers to this online search engine. She cites an example of a student wanting to search the internet to write a report on "tigers". Typing in the word tiger on Google will produce 237,000,000 results including the animal-tiger, Tiger Woods, and the Detroit Tigers. Ms. Hardin maintains that Searchme is a student friendly search engine that will show the user subcategories allowing them to find results for exactly what they are looking for. Another appeal of this site is that the user can flip through screen shots of the topic webpages instead of having to click and visit each suggested website. The user can also create and save "stacks" of information for future use.

I was curious to look up Searchme so did immediately after reading the article. Unfortunately when I reached the site, their was a big banner saying that "Searchme has gone Offline". According to the site, Searchme was the world's leading visual search engine. I was disappointed to not be able to personally try out the search engine. According to Ms. Hardin, the only downside to Searchme in her opinion was that it did not produce as numerous results as other sites. To me (and I believe to students) this would be a plus to have many sites weeded out. Searchme sounded very visual and user friendly. I will look occasionally to see if it comes back.

3 comments:

  1. Erin,
    What a cool idea!! I personally hate looking things up at Google or Ask because there is so much information that is not needed. I think that the idea would probably have to come from a maker of Google or ask to make the product work well. Students could look up things quickly and effectively. As I was reading this I was going to look it up too, and I was disappointing that you could not try it yourself. We will have to keep looking and see if this site will come back on. I love this idea! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    While readig your article i was excited to use the searchme engine, but after reading it was no longer there I wasn't too happy. The searchme engine sounds like a great way to get information. Like Alyssa had stated every time I use Google I get all these hits that have nothing to do with what I am looking for. It seemed like this search engine would be that evrey student would of liked to have used. Do you knwo why it is no longer in use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks to me like it is for sale. Want to buy it?:)

    ReplyDelete